Amsterdam Schiphol offers free unlimited WiFi

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Amsterdam Schiphol offers free unlimited WiFi

Post by sn26567 »

Amsterdam's Schiphol airport is now offering all passengers free unlimited wifi.

The airport had previously, since 2010, provided complimentary internet access for up to one hour.

But from today, anybody travelling through the Dutch hub can connect to the airport's wifi network 24/7 and for as long as they want.

To login, users need to select "Schiphol Airport_WiFi" on their devices.

In July, Munich Airport also made wifi available for free.

Come on, Brussels Airport, a small additional effort to remain in the top league!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Established02

Re: Amsterdam Schiphol offers free unlimited WiFi

Post by Established02 »

Today I noticed that IKEA is now also offering free unlimited WIFI in the waiting area of their customer service desks.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Who needs WIFI with this phone:
nokia-2700-classic-2.jpg
nokia-2700-classic-2.jpg (17.46 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
;)

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

luchtzak wrote:Who needs WIFI with this phone:
nokia-2700-classic-2.jpg
;)

Way to modern for me...

I'll take the Nokia 6310i anyday, anytime

as a spare phone :mrgreen:

And the nice thing is, you can actually make calls with it, something I find sometimes hard to do with my iPhone 5s :evil:

Established02

Post by Established02 »

sn26567 wrote:Come on, Brussels Airport, a small additional effort to remain in the top league!
Perhaps Brussels Airport may be considering to offer unlimited free wifi, if that helps the case of raising the BRU airport tax to 29 EUR or 30 EUR (= 1200 BEF). :roll:

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

If you are a Telenet customer BRU already offers free internet :)

b720

Post by b720 »

I'm never able to connect at BRU. Only in the SN lounge, but not the terminal.
No problem elsewhere though.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Bralo20 wrote:If you are a Telenet customer BRU already offers free internet :)
Do you know many Telenet customers in Wallonia? Half of the country cannot benefit from that offer! This is a scandalous discrimination.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

Doesn't Telenet partner with VOO on the hotspots? VOO is popular in Wallonia I think.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Flanker2 wrote:Doesn't Telenet partner with VOO on the hotspots? VOO is popular in Wallonia I think.
That's correct (at least the first part of your sentence), but the VOO services are a nightmare and quite not as popular in Wallonia as Belgacom/Proximus.

Moreover, "Free unlimited" means for everybody, and not for a select group of passengers.
André
ex Sabena #26567

b720

Post by b720 »

I agree, it should be unlimited. and for everyone at the airport.. Not to mention the millions per year who are connecting..they have not even heard of telenet. I could not log in on the 30 min free wifi, neiether on my ipad nor on my smart phone.. manage to connect both almost everywhere else..

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

It's amazing that so many people are still struggling with basic internet connection and that airports like BRU still refuse to invest in such a basic utility.

I suggest to consider Mobile Vikings. They're a great operator, free GB with your top-up and it works about anywhere in the world where 3G or a decent GPRS network is available. If you want to use it on your laptop, just activate your mobile hotspot on your smartphone. It works like a charm and it's basically "free" as you can use your credit to call. It's fast too.

You can also use that credit to purchase EU data roaming packages.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

While it would be normal for BRU to offer free wifi, especially given the high taxes they charge for the use of their facilities, I don't think it's going to bring an improvement for frequent and professional users of the airport: most people I know go online through 3G when they are at the airport and there's always internet in the lounges too of course and indeed, you can also get connected to your telenet account if you are a customer of them too. Never tried the 30 min free, so no idea if that works well, but it's an option too.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Inquirer wrote:Never tried the 30 min free, so no idea if that works well, but it's an option too.
My experience is that it works reasonably well, but first you have to watch a video (ad for SN) and then fill a lengthy questionnaire before finally be connected. Cumbersome procedure, to say the least. And more than often it doesn't work at all. And when it works, it is often slow.

If your flight is delayed, half an hour is quite insufficient.

So, there is a lot of room for improvements.
André
ex Sabena #26567

b720

Post by b720 »

Exactly! The video! The whole procedure Is so19th century.

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Free and unlimited Wifi at Amsterdam but not at Brussels Airport. A scandal, so I must join the communal protest here: shame on you, Brussels Airport.

However... the word "unlimited" in "free and unlimited Wifi" only refers to the access time, and not to the speed, access possibilities and data transfers. Actually, the "free and unlimited Wifi" is four times slower then the Premium Wifi service at AMS:

quote from Schiphol.nl:

"... Accessing wireless Internet is easy: switch on your laptop, PDA or tablet, select 'Schiphol_Airport_Wifi' as your network, open your Internet browser and follow the instructions on the login page. You will be presented with two options: the no-cost 'Free WiFi' service and the paid 'Premium WiFi' service.

Free WiFi allows you to connect to wireless Internet from any device with login access 24 hours a day throughout the year, free of charge. If you have no mobile device, you can use one of the many Internet PCs located in the airport's Internet Centers. Read more below.

Need a higher speed, or want to connect to your company network or print a document? Then use the Premium WiFi service, which is four times faster than free WiFi. Premium WiFi can be purchased using a credit card, via PayPal or roaming partners, or with vouchers that are available from the AKO stores and electronics stores in the lounges, as well as the VIZZIT stores at the piers. Premium WiFi is available 24 hours a day, all year round..."

Source:
http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/AtSch ... ywhere.htm

b720

Post by b720 »

At BRU right now, was able to connect! Hassle free, and without watching that video!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

b720 wrote:At BRU right now, was able to connect! Hassle free, and without watching that video!
Then you were using the telenet hotspot (for which you have a paying subscription) and not the 30min free wifi.
André
ex Sabena #26567