Norwegian Air Shuttle in 2012-2015

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

White Light

Re: Norwegian Air Shuttle

Post by White Light »

Horrible uniforms, indeed. Probalby, "Norwegian" good taste :?
Last edited by White Light on 08 Oct 2014, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

What's the issue? Flighttime is similar than Oslo to Bangkok?
Did you actually fly in their dreamliner?

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

Yes I did, did you ?
Tried DY, JAF and LO short haul and enjoyed each flight. Also flew LO transatlantic and found the 787 extremely uncomfortable...like many fellow avgeeks did.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

airtrainer wrote:Yes I did, did you ?
Tried DY, JAF and LO short haul and enjoyed each flight. Also flew LO transatlantic and found the 787 extremely uncomfortable...like many fellow avgeeks did.
What's so uncomfortable about the 787?
Is it something plane specific, or just that flying in Y on longer trips these days is no longer fun at all?
I agree: on transatlantic (and further), you really need a C class ticket not to feel like you've been ran over by a train for the first couple of days after flying.
Maybe the premium Economy thing several airlines are introducing is okay too; haven't had the chance to try it yet and for as long as our travel policy at work allows C class for flights over 6 hours, I won't try it either!

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Yes I flew NAX multiple times on the long haul. I dont know what both of you are on about but I always fly economy and I've never felt like Ive been run over by a train.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sean1982 wrote:Yes I flew NAX multiple times on the long haul. I dont know what both of you are on about but I always fly economy and I've never felt like Ive been run over by a train.
Well, let me put it this way: have you ever flown C class on long flights?
It's only when you do, that you realise C is indeed worth the money as Y is really very basic these days.
Of course, everything has its price, so both are value for money, but Y is not a pleasure, to say the least!

Stij

Post by Stij »

Hi Inquirer,

when you fly private (and you don't have enough miles), do you fly C as well?

Cheers,

Stij

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer wrote:
sean1982 wrote:Yes I flew NAX multiple times on the long haul. I dont know what both of you are on about but I always fly economy and I've never felt like Ive been run over by a train.
It's only when you do, that you realise C is indeed worth the money as Y is really very basic these days.
Of course, everything has its price, so both are value for money, but Y is not a pleasure, to say the least!

I've never had a problem with Y and the money I save with that will easily pay for hotel costs and give me spending money at destination.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

sean1982 wrote:
Inquirer wrote:

I've never had a problem with Y and the money I save with that will easily pay for hotel costs and give me spending money at destination.
One big issue is ones posture. Smaller an thinner people will be more comfortable in Y than tall and big ones. I'm in the predominant tall category and for me it is an ordeal to sit in Y for over 2 hours. Except for that one time I sat at the emergency exit. For me it is more beneficial to pay for more leg room than just choosing the lowest fare.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

I am 1.85m and for me most y seats are comfortable. Off course an emergency exit seat is always nicer but depending on the airline can be very expensive to reserve these seats. JAF once charged me 50€ per person per stretch for example. It really depends.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Stij wrote:Hi Inquirer,

when you fly private (and you don't have enough miles), do you fly C as well?

Cheers,

Stij
Hi!

I fly a LOT for work, so whenever I take my holidays, I prefer to keep travel short: call my old fashioned, but I've never felt the urge to fly for 12 hours just to sit on a beach at the other side of the globe. :oops:
This year, my summer holidays took me to Malaga, to give you an idea.

A couple of years ago, we went to California for our wedding aniversary (so definitely private) and yes, we flew in C class. If you book your tickets well in advance and don't require any flexibility, flying C class isn't that expensive either, you know?

Ok, it's still close to 2,000 euro for a return ticket, so that's probably 2 or even 3 times more expensive than in economy, but you do get a lot more comfort for that so you arrive feeling much better rested than you do when you come out of economy, and that's worth the extra money to me.
If you can, try C class and you'll see what I am saying.

Of course, I perfectly understand what some are thinking: they prefer to save money on their flights to spend it once there. It's a compromise choice we all have to make, not just on the flight itself, but also once there on holiday: do you stay at cheap motels, or take upscale hotels? Do you go for the best seats in the theatre, or are you happy with cheaper tickets which don't offer you such a good view? Do you take a dessert every evening at diner, or leave the restaurant right away after main course? etc. etc.

I am a tall person, and I am just not very comfortably seated in a standard economy seat: not just at knee level, but also at sholder level: it's okay for a couple of hours, but it's simply not pleasant anylonger after more than that, especially not when you want to rest and relax a bit, let alone want to try to really sleep.

Compare it to a sofa vs. a chair: when you visit somebody for just coffee, you'll sit at their table, but when you come to spend the whole evening with them, would you like to remain seated on that chair the whole time, or do you prefer to move to the sofa? Well, flying economy is like sitting on a chair for the whole time to me: no problem for a few hours, but definitely not comfortable for a whole day/night.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Norwegian Leases LOT Boeing 787 for Nov 2014 Operations

Norwegian from 26OCT14 to 30NOV14 is temporary leasing LOT Polish Airlines’ Boeing 787 aircraft to cover its long-haul operation, mainly from Copenhagen.

See schedules on Airline Route: http://airlineroute.net/2014/10/13/dylo-nov14/
André
ex Sabena #26567

Treeper

Post by Treeper »

Inquirer wrote:
airtrainer wrote:Yes I did, did you ?
Maybe the premium Economy thing several airlines are introducing is okay too; haven't had the chance to try it yet and for as long as our travel policy at work allows C class for flights over 6 hours, I won't try it either!
I did LHR-MEL & SYD-LHR in premium economy on a QF A380 this summer. Man was that worth the money. I paid about 1,5x the price of Y. Money well spend there. We had an exit row on LHR-MEL. C was too expensive for us. At time of booking about 5 to 6.000,-eur pp.
Main reason was I didn't want to sit with the girlfriend next to someone else for 2x over 10hs. I once had the 'malchance' of sitting next to an obese woman for 8hs and... well I don't have to draw the picture there.

Bit of topic, sorry for that

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Treeper wrote: I did LHR-MEL & SYD-LHR in premium economy on a QF A380 this summer. Man was that worth the money. I paid about 1,5x the price of Y. Money well spend there. We had an exit row on LHR-MEL. C was too expensive for us. At time of booking about 5 to 6.000,-eur pp.
Main reason was I didn't want to sit with the girlfriend next to someone else for 2x over 10hs. I once had the 'malchance' of sitting next to an obese woman for 8hs and... well I don't have to draw the picture there.
Bit of topic, sorry for that
That's money well spend I should think.

I know this site is full of people who think price is everything, but comfort is important too to many people (especially on long flights) and not surprisingly many are willing to pay more for that.

I shake my head in total disbelief each time I hear somebody say it's stupid to pay hundreds or even a thousand euro more for just a few glasses of champagne: it's really not about that, it's about having enough personal space onboard to stretch out your legs while seated, to be able to eat without hitting your elebows on somebody else's elebows and to be able to sleep without having to cosily cuddle almost with a person you've never seen before in your life, so I can very much understand what you are saying, and indeed, the premium economy section of many airlines could be a good solution for all those people who seek just that, without need of the ticket flexibility of a C class ticket.

gulbano

Post by gulbano »

I know this site is full of people who think price is everything, but comfort is important too to many people (especially on long flights) and not surprisingly many are willing to pay more for that.
a.rehman

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Not everything is rosy in the world of LCCs. Norwegian Air Shuttle's heavy losses (1 billion NOK) and record debt in 2014 place the focus on growth and costs. An interesting analysis (as usual) by CAPA:

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/n ... sts-209759
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Norwegian begins fleet transfer to Norwegian Air Norway

Norwegian has transferred its first aircraft to its new European subsidiary Norwegian Air Norway, Skyliner Aviation has reported. The aircraft, a B737-800 formerly LN-DYY (msn 39012) on the Norwegian registry, has now become EI-FHA on the Irish registry as of February 17. Four aircraft are now already operating for the new carrier, all of which are based at London Gatwick.

Founded in late 2013, Norwegian Air Norway is believed to be registered in Ireland, a member of the European Union. Norwegian Air Norway will use its Irish registry to gain greater Norwegian access to the European intra-regional market than it currently has under its Norwegian registration and certification.

The Scandinavian budget carrier has already established Norwegian Air International (Dublin Int'l) in Ireland in the hopes of using its Irish registry to gain Norwegian greater access to the European intercontinental market - the United States market in particular. The project, however, has encountered severe resistance from both sides of the Atlantic with the US Department of Transportation yet to decide on its application for a Foreign Air Carrier Permit.

Source: ch-aviation
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Norwegian Airlines begins San Juan (Puerto Rico) services from:
-London LGW, 2X-weekly, Nov. 4;
-Copenhagen, weekly, Nov. 6;
-Stockholm, weekly, Nov. 3;
-Oslo, weekly, Nov. 1.
It begins Copenhagen-St. Croix, weekly, Nov. 9.
It launches Las Vegas-Copenhagen, weekly, Nov. 10; -Stockholm, weekly, Oct. 31.
Norwegian begins London LGW-Pula, weekly, May 25.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Norwegian launches non-stop routes from New York JFK, Baltimore/Washington and Boston to Guadeloupe and Martinique! A bold move outside of Europe that even Ryanair has not contemplated (but it's true that Guadeloupe and Martinique are part of the EU!).

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... caribbean/
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Scandinavian low fare airline Norwegian reported carrying a record of almost 2.7 million passengers in July.

The 8% year-on-year rise came as the load factor increased by 5.6 percentage points to 93.8%.

Chief executive Bjorn Kjos said: “I am very pleased that so many travellers chose to fly with Norwegian in July.

“Not only did we set a new passenger record, we also filled the planes better than ever.

“With a 94% load factor, the demand is equally high in well-established markets in Scandinavia and in new markets such as the UK, Germany, Spain and the US.

“This proves that Norwegian’s international strategy is working and we are even better equipped to meet the tough competition going forward.”

More: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... s-in-july/
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.