Helicopter scheduled airlines ?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

AOMD88

Helicopter scheduled airlines ?

Post by AOMD88 »

Hi

I am just curious about which airlines do operate scheduled flights with helicopters. So far, the ones I know of are:

in Europe :

Helisureste (doing the Ceuta <> Málaga leg in Spain)
Alidaunia in Italy
Heli Air Monaco

Former operators are Eurocopter (their Helsinki <> Tallin route is gone) and Helikopter Sercive (Swedish carrier flyinf from Helsingborg to CPH airport) . I am not sure wheter there still is or not an helicpter link in Malta , but I think it has also been closed down.

in America

US Helicopters (shuttle transfer to NY airports)
and Helijet around Vancouver.

Do you know any other helicoter airline that is stll operating ?

andorra-airport

Re: Helicopter scheduled airlines ?

Post by andorra-airport »

Try Atlantic Airways (RC) from Faroer islands, and Air Greenland (GL)

andorra-airport

But maybe the best known is "Sky Shuttle" , between Hong-Kong and Macau.

andorra-airport

And about Malta: it is now a sea plane: Harbour Air

FLYAIR10

Post by FLYAIR10 »

British International Helicopters is operating a regular schedule between Pensance,Cornwall and the Scilly islands. This period of the year thay have 11 flights in each direction.
This line was before operated by BA Helicopters,but the division was sold in 1986 and became BIH.

http://www.islesofscillyhelicopter.com/ ... timetables

Greetz..

regi

Post by regi »

There used to be a daily regular helicopter shuttle flight between Vung Tau and Con Dao island, Vietnam.
I was just too late in 1992 to buy my ticket for the day. I was getting sick and set down at the Back Beach, having an ice coffee. Suddenly I heard a deep sound, getting louder and louder.
A Russian helicopter ( think it was a Mi-8) hovered low over the beach , slide door open. I could see people sit at the bottom of the helicopter. I was too shocked ( and feverish ) to take a picture and watched the chopper disappear over the sea followed by a black cloud of smoke. I immediately decided to stay ashore and not take that transport to those remote islands.
Some years ago, there was a crash in the sea of one of those Vietnamese helicopters flying to Con Dao.
Today, there are 2 times a week tourist trips by helicopter to Con Dao.

There was in 1994 another Mi-8 crash with a sheduled helicopter flight in the Maldives . Among the victimes was restaurant chef Bart Gabriëls and his wife from Bruges/Knokke. Very accidentally Bart Gabriels was a school friend of Gerd Van Poucke, who lost his parents in a plane crash in France ( http://www.huktra.com/images/people/rvp.htm )

According this website they have changed to Twin Otters instead of using Russian choppers.

http://mikemoro.mi.ohost.de/journal/200 ... e_2007.pdf

Trans Maldivian Airways were established in 1989 and flew at that time
under the name “Hummingbird”, using Sikorsky S-61 and Mil Mi-8
helicopter, to fly tourists to their Island Resorts.
After a tragic crash in 1994 with several casualties, Maldivian
Government banned the use of helicopters. Therefore TMA started using
DHC-6 Twin Otters with fitted floats. During my visit, the fleet was
composed of 16 aircrafts, all in their new colored white-blue-yellow livery.
TMA flies to 25 different Resorts situated at the North- and South-Male
Atoll, Ari-Atoll, Baa-Atoll and Lhaviyani Atoll. The length of the flight
routes vary between 15 and 50 minutes. Fortunately I was lucky and was
allowed to travel with one of their aircrafts to Helengeli at the North-Male
Atoll. A great experience.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

ISTR Chukotavia operating scheduled helicopters Anadyr-Mys Schmidta but could find no evidence on the www

MHG

Post by MHG »

Well, here´s an updated list (to my knowledge) of public scheduled helicopter services worldwide
(status: jan 2011) :

Europe:
Norway: Bodo (BOO) - Vaeroy (VRY) Lufttransport A/S (L5) AW-139

U.K.: Penzance (PZE) - Isles of Scilly (ISC) British International (BS) S-61
Penzance (PZE) - Tresco (TSO) British International (BS) S-61

Italy: Foggia (FOG) - Isole Tremiti (TQR) Alidaunia A-109 / AW-139

Spain: Malaga (AGP) - Ceuta (JCU) INAER/Helisureste Bell-412/AW-139
Algeciras (AEI) - Ceuta (JCU) INAER/Helisureste Bell-412/AW-139

Monaco: Monte Carlo (MCM)- Nice (NCE) Heli Air Monaco (YO) AS350

North America:
Canada: Vancouver Harbour (CXH) - Victoria Harbour (YWH) Helijet (JB) S-76/S-61
Vancouver Intl. (YVR) - Victoria Harbour (YWH) Helijet (JB) S-76/S-61

Asia:
Macau: Macau (XZM) - Hongkong Heliport (HHP) HeliexpressEast Asia Airlines (EMU) AW-139
Macau (XZM) - Shenzen (SZX) Heliexpress/East Asia Airlines (EMU) AW-139

Japan: One daily circle trip around Tokyo Islands7Izu Islands.
Hachijojima (HAC) - Mogashima - Hachijojima (HAC) - Mikurajima - Miyakejima (MYE)- Oshima (OIM) - Toshima - Oshima (OIM) - Miyakejima (MYE) - Mikurajima - Hachijojima (HAC)
Toho Air Service S-76

andorra-airport

MHG wrote:Well, here´s an updated list (to my knowledge) of public scheduled helicopter services worldwide
(status: jan 2011) :
I guess you forgot to mention the most well known ones? Atlantic Airways on the Faroe Islands is flying to many places with their AW139 and Bell 412 helicopters (And probably the cheapest one of all! Less then 50 euro for 1 hour island-hopping) , and of course Air Greenland with their Bell 212/ 222, Eurocopter AS350 and Sikorsky S-61 helis.

One more in Europe: In winter (nov-march) you can fly on a scheduled flight between Hartland Point to Lundy island (off the coast of Devon, England). Contracted to Castle Air , Agusta A-109A-II.

There is some scheduled traffic in India, operated by Pawan Hans (ICAO PHE) :

Flight from Katra to Sanjhichat. One of the most visited pilgrimage centers in India. Instead of a 13 KM hike up the mountains, you can take a 5 min. scheduled helicopter flight. BELL 206-L4 / Bell 407 https://booking.pawanhans.co.in/web/ta/home.aspx

Arunachal Pradesh is a hilly state, and the government has schedulded flights to remote/hard to reach places. Helicopters are operated by Pawan Hans. MI-172 http://arun-aviation.nic.in/default.htm

Pawan Hans has more flights/helicopters, but I guess most are charter. They are starting with seaplanes in the Andaman Islands.

In Sri Lanka, there is Deccan Aviation Lanka. They operate a daily scheduled return helicopter flight from Colombo Airport to various destinations on the South coast of Sri Lanka, with a Bell 206 B3 Jet Ranger.
http://www.simplifly.com/schedule.html

And then in Japan , you have Narita Heli Express. They fly from Narita airport to Tokyo, Saitama and Gunma. But not "scheduled" , because they only fly if they have passengers. http://www.heli-express.com/en/index.html