Aircraft Names

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

meerkat

Aircraft Names

Post by meerkat »

I am not sure where this topic should go but I guess we all check all the new posts!

I was having a couple of beers with a UK friend recently when the subject of aircraft names came up. We both are old enough to remember when most airlines carried names on their aircraft, adding to the interest of each individual aircraft, and lamented the fact that many now do not, which leads to a general blandness caused by relatively few aircraft types and often lifeless colour schemes.

KLM name of their aircraft after famous Dutchmen and this led us to discuss famous Belgians, which is somtimes treated by the British press as a joke, asking anyone to name 10 famous Belgians. Before you shoot me down I know that there are at least 13 famous Belgians (especially now that Bart is known worldwide) but perhaps SNBA could do something to remedy this oversight by naming their aircraft and pointing this out to the travelling public. I feel it would be good for SNBA and good for Belgium.

How about we come up with a list of names to offer SN?

Meerkat :?

PS I think the recent tennis success must have had a subliminal effect on my discussions!

744rules

Post by 744rules »

What kind of names do you have in mind :?: Recent names or more historicals, such as Pire (peace nobel price winner), Gramme(invented dynamo), Stampe-Vertonge, Baekelandt (bakeliet), Margritte (they do have the pigeon :!: ), ......

:idea:

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

Perhaps each class of aircraft could have a different theme.

1. Aviation pioneers
2. Artists etc
3. Modern day heroes

+++

Meerkat

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Georges Gutelman at TEA had christened all his planes. The first one was "Ville de Liège"; the second "Aline" (name of his wife), etc.

Excellent suggestion, Ray, as long as the chosen names of the planes are ambassadors for Belgium.
Last edited by sn26567 on 09 Sep 2003, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
André
ex Sabena #26567

vliegtuigfreak

Post by vliegtuigfreak »

VLM to; like the OO-VLN is the City of Antwerp etc...

Greetingzz
Sonny :wink: